Backend Engineer (Principal/Senior)
Location: New York or Seattle
Do you want to have an impact on workplace fairness, including pay equity based on gender and race? Syndio is a technology company committed to helping organizations fairly and equitably hire, promote, retain, and compensate their employees. We are seeking a Senior Backend Engineer—or Principal Backend Engineer (depending on experience level)—to work in a highly collaborative environment on our growing set of solutions.
Fueled by a May 2020 investment of $7.5M from Voyager Capital and social change organization Emerson Collective, Syndio is investing in expanding our team and products. We are passionate about our mission and value transparency, hustle, clarity, truth, and humility.
About the role
We are looking for someone who’s excited to be a technical lead for the backend engineering team and solve challenges at a fast-paced startup. You will join Syndio at a critical moment, as we invest in our growing engineering teams to evolve the platform to meet increasingly complex user needs. Customer success hinges on high-quality platform and application development. Your work driving scalable software engineering solutions for our flagship product, Syndio PayEQ, and subsequent products will have a meaningful impact on helping companies achieve fairness in the workplace.
- Lead the design and development of new features and services delivered to Syndio end users.
- Propose and implement pragmatic and scalable solutions that will grow with our company.
- Provide technical leadership, direction, and mentorship for the growing backend engineering team in their day-to-day activities.
- Work with the entire engineering organization (frontend, product, and site reliability) to ensure backend projects meet all team requirements.
- Focus on secure coding practices and maintainability to ensure new feature implementations fit the needs of a growing engineering organization.
- Contribute to and guide the engineering organization’s best practices.
- Within 1 month, you’ll understand the strengths and weaknesses of our current platform.
- Within 3 months, you’ll be working on small designs and projects and formulating opinions / making proposals on more fundamental aspects of the architecture.
- Within 6 months, you’ll be implementing new designs / architecture and building new features; you’ll be contributing to greater overall stability of the platform.
- Within 12 months, you’ll be launching new products and features that our customers are successfully using at scale.
- You are a strong technical leader with the ability to propose solutions based on your experience and invite feedback from your team.
- You want to be an individual contributor, designing and implementing cutting-edge engineering approaches.
- You have experience in enterprise technology applications architecture, design, development, and maintenance, with a strong focus on performance, reliability, and security.
- You excel in a collaborative environment, supported by a strong team of design and engineering resources.
- You are ready to work with teams across the organization to ensure platform scalability, security, and maintainability.
- You have excellent communication skills that enable you to interface with both technical and non-technical teams.
- You bring problem-solving and critical thinking skills to our dynamic startup environment.
- You are passionate about our mission to close pay gaps and create fairness in the workplace.
- 5-10 years of experience, with an emphasis on scalable and maintainable cloud-based technology platforms
- B2B-focused solution and architecture design experience
- Software engineering methodology experience with a focus on testing discipline
- Experience architecting cloud based applications (we use GCP)
- Experience with Python/Django and/or Go
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Redis, Cloud PubSub, or similar solutions
- Strong knowledge of API architecture and experience building APIs
Employees joining the Syndio team at this early stage of growth will impact this critical social issue and support a growing customer base (including Nordstrom, Slack, Match Group, Target, Adobe, and others) to take tangible action on workplace fairness.
At Syndio, you’ll receive a competitive salary, bonuses, equity, and a lot more benefits! As part of our commitment to fair pay, we’ll never ask your salary history. We’ll share the salary range for this position with you during our first conversation.
If you’re interested in joining the Syndio team, apply using the link below. All your information will be kept confidential in accordance with EEO guidelines.
Syndio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building an inclusive and collaborative workplace as we grow, and we welcome team members regardless of gender/identity, sexual orientation, race or cultural background, religion, physical disability and age.