Backend Engineer (Mid)
Location: New York or Seattle
Do you want to have an impact on workplace fairness, including pay equity based on gender and race? Syndio is a technology company committed to helping organizations fairly and equitably hire, promote, retain, and compensate their employees. We are seeking an experienced and driven Backend Engineer to work in a highly collaborative environment on our growing set of solutions.
Fueled by a May 2020 investment of $7.5M from Voyager Capital and social change organization Emerson Collective, Syndio is investing in expanding our team and products. We are passionate about our mission and value transparency, hustle, clarity, truth, and humility.
About the role
We are looking for a Backend Engineer who’s excited to solve technical challenges in a fast-paced startup environment. You will join Syndio at a critical moment, as we invest in our engineering and product teams to evolve the platform to meet increasingly complex user needs. Customer success hinges on high-quality platform development. Your work driving scalable software engineering solutions for our flagship product, Syndio PayEQ, and subsequent products will have a meaningful impact on helping companies achieve fairness in the workplace.
- Contribute to the design and development of new features and services delivered to Syndio end users.
- Implement pragmatic and scalable solutions that will grow with our company.
- Work with cross-functional (backend, frontend, product, site reliability) teams to implement solutions in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Work with the product team to build customer-facing features that further their goal of workplace fairness.
- Support customers on a day-to-day basis by working with Support and QA to find, address, and resolve critical back end issues.
- Focus on secure coding practices and maintainability to ensure new feature implementations fit the needs of a growing engineering organization.
- Contribute to the engineering organization’s best practices.
- Within 1 month, you’ll be ramped, engaging with the code base, fixing bugs, and shadowing the Syndio backend engineers.
- Within 3 months, you’ll work on and ship a minor feature.
- Within 6 months, you’ll collaborate with the broader team to ship a major feature.
- You have 3+ years of experience, with an emphasis on scalable cloud-based technology platforms
- You thrive working in a collaborative environment, with a team that communicates well and ensures they’re delivering on each other’s needs.
- You have a strong command of relevant technologies, programming languages, and cloud-based environments.
- You have experience in enterprise technology applications architecture, design, development, and maintenance, with a focus on performance, reliability, and security.
- You have excellent communication skills that enable you to interface with both technical and non-technical teams.
- You are a team player, able to rally behind others, while also speaking up to challenge ideas and share feedback.
- You bring problem-solving and critical thinking skills to our dynamic startup environment.
- You are committed to meeting high quality standards and will advocate for innovative solutions.
- You are passionate about our mission to close pay gaps and create fairness in the workplace.
- You’re excited to own and drive initiatives within Syndio that leverage and build your skills and interests.
- 3+ years of experience, with an emphasis on scalable cloud-based technology platforms
- Software engineering methodology experience with a focus on testing discipline
- Experience in GCP-based cloud application
- Experience with Python/Django and/or Go
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Redis, Cloud PubSub, or similar solutions
- Experience with math and statistics libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, and SciPy
- Strong knowledge of API architecture and experience in building APIs
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
Employees joining the Syndio team at this early stage of growth will impact this critical social issue and support a growing customer base (including Nordstrom, Slack, Match Group, Target, Adobe, and others) to take tangible action on workplace fairness.
At Syndio, you’ll receive a competitive salary, bonuses, equity, and a lot more benefits! As part of our commitment to fair pay, we’ll never ask your salary history. We’ll share the salary range for this position with you during our first conversation.
If you’re interested in joining the Syndio team, apply using the link below. All your information will be kept confidential in accordance with EEO guidelines.
Syndio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building an inclusive and collaborative workplace as we grow, and we welcome team members regardless of gender/identity, sexual orientation, race or cultural background, religion, physical disability and age.